I saw a motto that I really liked and thought we could adapt it to our activity. The motto was “Community is not about where you live but how you live with other people.” Let’s apply that to square dancing. “Square dancing is not about where you dance, but how you dance with other people.’‘ Can we all start thinking like that?
Instead of separating ourselves into clubs and cliques, let’s just think about people we dance with. Let’s be happy that people are learning to dance, wherever they are. Let’s enjoy the friendship and fellowship and community that we have with other dancers, wherever they might be. We all have so much in common and when we are in a square, we have 7 other people to work together with and 7 other people with the same goal. And when we’re in a group of squares, we have many more people to cooperate with, have fun with and share the same goal. Can we focus on that?
So, in our community of dancers, let’s not think about where we are but who we are dancing with and how we are coming together with a common goal. Let’s be thankful for all dancers–whether in our club, our community, our state, our country, or our world. This is a community we can all support.
Following are some opportunities to get out and share your joy in the season through dancing!
- River Squares: Christmas Party & Toys for Tots Dance on Friday, December 1.
- Kentucky Kuzzins: Just Three Weeks to Christmas Dance on Saturday, December 2.
- Skirts & Shirts: Snowflake Dance on Saturday, December 9.
- Sunshine Squares: Ho-Ho-Ho Hoedown Dance on Thursday, December 14.
- Beechmont Squares: Christmas Potluck Dinner and Dance on Thursday, December 14.
- Frontier Squares: Toys for Tots Dance on Friday, December 15.
- Unicorners: Christmas Dinner & Dance on Monday, December 18.
- Venus & Mars: Welcome In the Holidays on Thursday, December 21
So chase away those cold weather blues, get away from shopping, take a break from family and dance with your square dance family.
All of the club information and dance times can be found under the “Clubs” tab.
Greater Cincinnati Dance Federation